LAUREL, Miss. (July 27, 2017) – Sanderson Farms, Inc. was recently named one of Mississippi’s Healthiest Workplaces for 2017. The company was acknowledged at a luncheon for award recipients held today at the Old Capitol Inn in Jackson, Miss.
“At Sanderson Farms, we are committed to supporting our employees and the communities in which they live,” said Joe F. Sanderson, Jr., CEO and chairman of the board for Sanderson Farms. “We are proud that our strong workplace wellness program truly makes a difference in the health and well-being of our employees.”
The Mississippi’s Healthiest Workplace Awards are given by a collaboration of groups including the Mississippi Business Journal, the Mississippi Business Group on Health,the Mississippi Department of Health, and the Mississippi Association of Self-Insurers.These awards recognize top employers from across the state who provide excellent employer health and wellness programs.
“Sanderson Farms believes a healthy workplace is essential for a business to be successful,” said Brian Romano, Director of Administration and Human Resources for Sanderson Farms. “We have worked hard to establish a company culture of wellness that benefits employees, their families, and the community as a whole.”
- Sanderson Farms offers various free programs and classes to help increase the health and well-being of its staff, including:
Yearly wellness screenings at all Sanderson Farms locations, in which employees can receive BMI, blood pressure, blood glucose, and cholesterol testing
- Health fairs, where employees can receive valuable information about local services
- Wellness classes for anyone who desires to learn more about their health
- A “Tobacco Cessation Program,” in which employees can enroll at any time and be eligible for an insurance discount upon successful completion
- A “Weight Loss Management Program,” which includes surgical and supervised weight loss methods
- A “Gym Reimbursement Program,” which partners with gyms around the country and reimburses employees up to $15 per month.
- A “Walk-to-Run Program,” in which the company partners with Blue Cross Blue Shield to offer participants 12 weeks of training to prepare them to walk or run a 5K
- A 5K “Chicken Run” at each location every year following the “Walk-to-Run
About Sanderson Farms
Sanderson Farms, Inc., founded in 1947, is engaged in the production, processing, marketing and distribution of fresh and frozen chicken and other prepared food items. Employing more than 14,000 employees in operations spanning five states and 13 different cities, Sanderson Farms is the third largest poultry producer in the United States. As a company, Sanderson Farms is committed to adopting a fresh approach in everything that we do. Not only where products are concerned, but companywide as well. Though the company has grown in size, it still adheres to the same hometown values of honesty, integrity and innovation that were established when the Sanderson family founded the company back in 1947.